Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Donald Eyes England Bowling Coach Job

Donald Eyes England Bowling Coach Job

Former South Africa paceman Allan Donald has said he would welcome the chance to return to the role of England fast bowling coach following the departure of Ottis Gibson.

The England and Wales Cricket Board are looking for a replacement for Gibson, who resigned Tuesday to become the new head coach of the West Indies.

Donald was immediately identified as a possible candidate, having spent four months in the role in 2007 before pulling out for family reasons.

“It is an environment I really enjoyed being in, working with elite cricketers,” the 43-year-old said. “I’d be silly to not consider the position. I will obviously think it over but it is a great challenge for any coach.

“If I did make contact with the ECB at some stage I’m sure that I would be throwing my name in the hat, absolutely.

“In 2007 my little boy went through a very tough time and I had to abort that. It would have been very foolish of me to go touring around the world when he was struggling at school and having health problems.

“At the moment everything is fine and I think I am just about ready to get back into it full time.”

Former England seamers Darren Gough, Phil DeFreitas and Steve Watkin are also seen as possible candidates, as is ex-South Africa captain Shaun Pollock.

Donald believes Gibson has left a strong legacy to whoever takes over from him.

“You can see Ottis has been working very hard. He has got a lot of discipline and toughness amongst these guys,” he said. “(James) Anderson has become a quality bowler, so has (Stuart) Broad.

“But not only the bowling unit, the team itself is becoming a solid one. I think there is no doubt they are destined for some big stuff to come.”

Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment